Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: This is the ideal life." ~Mark Twain

^Who would have thought Mark Twain could have described my Saturday in one sentence?

My weekend was just a crazy juxtaposition.  Friday, I left early for Chicago to tour four law schools in the span of less than seven hours.  It was crazy.  The day was spent running and then listening to pretty much the same information four different times.  It was loud, fast, and overwhelming.  I guess that's what law school will be like, though.  I definitely liked one more than the others, but I am refusing to get my hopes up yet.  On a related note, Chicago is amazing.  The more I travel to big cities, the more I am convinced I am supposed to live in one.

Saturday was the perfect day.  I was exhausted from Friday, and I didn't wake up until 2 o'clock.  The day was beautiful, and we went out to watch ISU play quidditch :)  There is definitely something about good weather that makes me undeniably happy.  Afterward, we went to Borders to buy books during their going out of business sale.  More on that later.  We came back to watch the King's Speech at the Normal Theatre.  Great movie.  Then, after driving around for a while, we sat on the quad and had fun with sidewalk chalk.  I did nothing very productive, but had a great day.  I don't even feel guilty for not doing any work.

The trip to Borders reiterated something I am just now figuring out about myself.  I have rekindled my love affair with books.  The store is sadly closing, and the books are all haphazardly thrown on the shelves in no discernible order.  There was something about being bombarded by so many different covers and titles that absolutely thrilled me.  It seemed as though every title intrigued me, and every plot I read had a different connection to my life.  I had to physically force myself to stop looking so I wouldn't pick up any more.  Even that didn't work too well, and I left with three new books.  I thought about this blog and how my goal is to experience as much as possible.  I think applying that to books will kill me eventually.  I will want to read everything.

There is just something about books that makes me want to get lost and escape into someone else's life.  Good books stay with you in ways you sometimes don't even realize.  They remain through the different ways they make you see life.  Good authors can change your perspective.  The more I think about authors who are important to me, the more I have the desire to write a book.  I want to make that difference in someone's life. I want to be the one to change someone's perspective.  Hell, I want to just be able to create a story that gives someone the ability to escape for a while.  I know it takes time, and I have so many other things to do right now, but I am putting it out there so I will be persuaded to do it eventually.

After a great weekend like this, it seems only right I should have a desire to work toward the positive things I want to accomplish.  Here's hoping it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment